Friday, February 13, 2009

The Spirit of Truth

“Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he shall guide you into all the truth: for he shall not speak from himself; but what things soever he shall hear, [these] shall he speak: and he shall declare unto you the things that are to come”. – John 16:13 (ASV)

There is no Christian who can live a successful life without the Holy Spirit. Until the Holy Spirit steps into the picture, we will remain saved but powerless. That’s why Jesus said in Acts 1:8“But ye shall receive power, when the Holy Spirit is come upon you”. But it’s even worse than being powerless when we don’t have the Holy Spirit in us. I found that out in the few years after my salvation. I was tossed to and fro on the wings of different doctrines. I labored under great misconceptions because I didn’t know better.

God knew exactly what I needed. I had reached a point where I knew I was searching for something but didn’t know what. I was looking for help to make sense out of it all. To understand. Understand what exactly? I didn’t know. I could not put my finger on what was wrong but I knew there was a great yearning in my heart for more than I had.

God answered that yearning in the form of another wonderful friend. A man who is now my pastor and teacher. He asked me one hot afternoon if I had the Holy Spirit. I said no. he held my hands and asked me if I wanted Him. All I knew about the Spirit was that He is the third part of the Trinity but as long as he’s associated with God and Jesus, that was okay with me so I said yes. My pastor held me and asked God to give me His Spirit. That prayer was answered instantly.

I opened my mouth and strange words started flowing out. I felt a thrill run through me and I felt again the joy in my spirit as when I just got saved. All through that day, I kept sneaking off to be alone and try the new ‘language’ thing. Each time I did that I experienced the same joy. I was so happy.

But God still wasn’t through yet. A few days after, I came across a training school about the Holy Spirit and I felt this instant conviction that I must attend. I did and that day marked a 180 Degree turn in my life. I learnt who the Holy Spirit is, how real He is and how personal He should be to each Christian. I couldn’t wait to find that out myself.

I got home and locked myself in my room. I wanted to talk to the Holy Spirit alone and have him prove His existence to me. I had the whole prayer planned out in my mind. I never got beyond the first two words. I only had time to say “Holy Spirit………..” when this overwhelming rush pushed me to my knees and the most beautifully strange yet seemingly familiar words began to tumble over themselves from deep in my heart, deeper than my heart. They seemed to come from the very core of me.

I was laughing and crying at the same time. The joy in me was beyond anything I had ever felt before. It was as if I could reach out and touch God. As if Jesus was right there beside me (He was actually and has always been and will always be) My spirit connected with the Holy Spirit and I suddenly knew  who He was. He had become real to me.

That day was just the beginning. I have not had that first day experience again but I’ve not needed it since that day. The Holy Spirit had become a part of me. Every day since then I know exactly who He is to me. I talk to Him, I walk with Him, I learn from Him, I hear Him! We have a personal relationship.

The first thing He started with was teaching me the Word. The Truth! Not the hogwash I had been fed but the Truth that sets free. With Him, I learned to stop trying and start trusting; to stop striving and start leaning on grace; to stop thinking with my senses and start seeing with my spirit. I learned faith is simply believing God. He taught me to call God, My Father; Jesus, My Lord and My Brother and the Holy Spirit? My Best Friend, My Confidant, My Teacher, The Spirit of My Father and My Lord. My Dearest Holy Spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment